Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Language Barrier (Entry #4, LT#2)

 I chose a parent letter from our first grade reading curriculum that was addressed to parents and that was available in Spanish.  Trying to read it was extremely challenging.  Language is a natural process and when you do not have the words you need....what do you do?  I did have a little bit of background knowledge and immediately picked out the few words I knew.  I started there and tried to figure out what context the word could possibly be used in!  


At that point I began to wish I were reading a picture book so I could have some clues or visuals to at least understand the possible context of the publication.   Here is a list of basic strategies I used to try and produce meaning:
  1. guessing
  2. collaboration (this means I asked my husband)
  3. word analysis (I tried to break down each word phonetically- by syllable, sound, part....anything to help me derive some meaning)
  4. Linking words to other words they sound like
 These are all strategies that our second language students use in classrooms to attempt to comprehend new text.  I could barely accommodate for myself as an adult and accomplished reader, so this activity really solidified the importance of making necessary language accommodations for students who need them!  It wasn't until I choose a decodable reader from first grade curriculum with simple, predictable text and pictures that I was able to find any meaning in text from another language. 

This experience has really shown me the importance of developing oral language to prepare for reading and making language accommodations for students!

1 comment:

  1. Your thinking process mirrors that of an ELL when decoding or even trying to make meaning of text or language in any form. Very insightful, especially because you know how hard your students are working to learn new things!

    ReplyDelete