Sunday, October 31, 2010

My Writing Instruction Experiences (Entry #2, LT#1)

I have always had authentic and genuine writing experiences as a student.  It wasn't until my later years of high school when I slowly began to dislike writing.  My elementary teachers made writing fun and motivating.  They often allowed me to choose what I wanted to write about or be creative and publish my work in different ways.  I even remember creating a video piece where I wrote a book report and summary, but filmed it in a special location with my friends and dad, while I acted as the narrator.  I wrote a lot during school and even during my free time.  I had aspirations to write a children's novel or submit other works for publishing.  I loved the connection between literature and writing, and was often inspired by the literature I would read in school and at home.  

The progressive learning model (Gibbons, 2002) exemplifies how I was taught to write.  I was behind the driver's seat of my own learning.  My teachers served as a passenger guiding me and mapping out the different routes I would follow.  My teachers allowed me to focus on both the process and product of learning during writing instruction and activities.  


No comments:

Post a Comment